Just in time to take the chill off, a nice comforting bowl of warm soup, chock full of cauliflower, white beans, barley and potatoes. Slivered collard leaves (or alternatively kale, or Swiss Chard) add a little extra “green” nutrition. This tasty soup is chunky and filling, low in calories, and very high in fibre and Vitamins A and C plus iron. To keep calories down, sauté the veggies in a bit of water rather than oil — you won’t miss it. While the recipe does make a big pot, leftovers taste even better the next day or you can freeze individual portions for later.
Cauliflower, Bean and Potato Soup
A comforting bowl of chunky soup that will warm you and fill you up!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small or 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 8 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium preferred
- 1/2 cup dried barley
- 1 19 oz can white kidney beans (Cannellini), no salt added
- 1/2 cup strained tomatoes (passatta) - optional
- 2 cups cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper (or 10 twists of the grinder)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large potato, diced in large chunks
- 3 collard (or kale or Swiss Chard) leaves, stems removed and leaves sliced very thinly Tip: Roll the leaves up into a tight cigar and then thinly slice across. If the slivers are too long, chop once again sideways to shorten them.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, with a little extra left to garnish
- Heat large soup pot on medium heat until a drop of water sizzles. Pour in a splash of water
- Saute onions, carrots, parsnip, celery and garlic, splashing in a bit more water if it starts to dry out
- Once fragrant, add vegetable broth, cabbage, barley, beans, tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes and spices
- Bring to a boil, then stir in collard greens
- Lower heat to low simmer and cook covered, stirring occasionally until potatoes are fork tender (approximately 45 minutes). If the soup gets too thick, add 1 cup of water to simmering stock
- Once done, stir half cup parsley into soup
- Taste and adjust any spices
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a little extra parsley
One of my favorites.
So glad you like it! Comfort food at its best.